Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Goodwill Boycott. WHO IS WITH ME!?

Thats it. I am fed up. Their overpriced items are one thing, but I am so tired of them destroying all these great finds with sharpie markers! So what do you know... I wrote them a little letter today:

To Whom it may concern;
I am a long time thrifter and antique enthusiast. I frequent many thrift stores throughout California, and whenever I am traveling. I live in (my city) California and frequent the (my city) Goodwill store occasionally. This particular store has a horrible system for marking prices. They use sharpie markers on everything. Clothes, toys, kitchen wear. You name it, they mark it. The problem with this is that it virtually destroys whatever it is they mark. I will pick up any article of clothing and can easily find a big 5 marked right on the inside of a shirt, and it clearly bleeds through the shirt and can be seen by anyone who wears it. Yesterday I visited this (my city) Goodwill and purchased a brand new teddy bear that was in great condition. Upon returning home I looked over the bear only to realize the foot of the bear has a large “2” marked on it foot with sharpie marker. I cannot get the marker off of it, and the bear is destroyed. I have skipped buying multiple items because they are destroyed with the price marked on them. Purses will be marked with a price written directly on the purse, a pair of sunglasses with sharpie marked on one of the sides, a set of books duck taped together with the price written on the book. There are so many examples of how this careless way of pricing items has destroyed the items and eliminated any chance of them being bought.


I frequently donate to Goodwill and will no longer do so until I know that my items being donated will not be destroyed.

Something needs to be done about this. Because of my voice in the trifting blogging community, and the many contacts I have across the US, (YES I AM TALKING ABOUT ALL OF YOU)I know that not all Goodwills mark their items this way. Please do something about the way this Goodwill destroys perfectly good items.

Sincerely

Ashley (my last name)

So I am no longer donating or shopping at Goodwill until something changes. Plus, Salvation Army would make better use of my items since their proceeds help many men and woman across the country.
If you have a problem with your local Goodwill go here and let them know.



Oh and PS here is the ruined bear. It has a "O" for the worker who price marked it and a "2" for the price. If I had seen that before I bought it I wouldnt have gotten the bear obviously, and I wouldnt have paid $2 for the dumb bear.

Take THAT Goodwill.
 

12 comments:

  1. OMG!!! That is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!!!
    I was hating our local GW putting price stickers on places that you could not remove, but sharpies ??? Making it completely worthless.... That is just plain stupidity....
    Management?? Again.. OMG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy for understanding my frustration!! I would LOVE if my GW used price stickers!! Even if they were hard to remove :(

      Delete
  2. That is the stupidest pricing I have ever seen. Sharpies, seriously?? I cannot even wrap my head around someone pricing a PLUSH TEDDY BEAR by writing on the foot in Sharpie! Do they not understand the concept of ink on fabric? Are they angry at the bear because they work there? Someone help me understand this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... What are they thinking when they mark FABRIC???!!!!! Lol you make me laugh Marci. Thanks for understanding!!

      Delete
  3. What could they be thinking?
    None of the thrift stores in my area use them, thank goodness.
    But perhaps your letter will convince them to change their policy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe they sell anything doing that to all of their merchandise. That's just stupid on their part, and I don't blame you for boycotting them. My GW has raised their prices. I'm buying a lot less from them and a lot more from my Salvation Army and other local thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. SA is ALWAYS better priced. How sad, right? I like that SA is there to make a positive impact on those in the community with their different programs... and while GW claims to do the same, I believe they are out to make $$. I just dont think its right.

      Delete
  5. I read that the owner is making a fortune and that he applies a very small amount to his putting people to work campaign. In Arizona, one is opening in every neighborhood practically. I just found out that they price things according to ebay. They have their own ebay type thing online too. If that wasnt enough, they have furniture by design. This is where they take the valuable donated furniture. It might be goodwill by design. I cant remember,but its all wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did u know that the whole "creating jobs" bs is about employing their own? Seriously...there good deed is to have overhead on their free inventory. How messed up is that. With that mentality every business with employees should be called a charity lol

    ReplyDelete