Monday, November 4, 2013

BOLO Dala Horses

I have catching up to do! Especially with all my favorite eBay bloggers! We have had such a busy month in October, and I was sick for almost the WHOLE month.

Soo a few weeks ago I decided to hit up a favorite thrift store with my mom. She loves thrifting as much as I do. Occasionally my mom will bring me home things to sell on eBay, and usually they are worth nothing. I appreciate her effort, but have had to roll my eyes occasionally because they are usually silly things.
On this particular day, my mom found a beautiful small wooden turquoise horse sitting on a shelf. She told me she thought it was worth something. I kind of brushed off the horse, and she told me again that I needed to look it up to see if it was worth anything. I reluctantly pulled out my phone to search for this horse. It did have a marked "NILS OLSSON." I pulled it up, and what do you know... they were selling anywhere from $20-$80.
So I bought my little horse for $1 and went home to list it.


Well... I listed it at $34.99 FS and it sold within 20 minutes.

I was happy but realized I priced it too low. Later after the buyer received the horse, she told me that this was a very RARE color. Sure enough, I looked on eBay, and there were not any other turquoise ones. Dang it. I knew there wasn't any other turquoise ones on eBay, but I didn't really think to list it higher because of that. Apparently, I was too excited about my find.

So these horses are called "Dala Horses". They are Swedish... and Nils Olsson isn't the only one who makes them.
Check out the completeds here.

Moral of the story: Don't rush to list a listing you are excited about, and always listen to your mom.

4 comments:

  1. I recognized that horse from a post on The Recyle-ista blog here:
    http://therecycleista.blogspot.com/2012/10/thrift-spoils.html
    I've never been lucky enough to find one myself yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of that brand before, but I will definitely be keeping an eye out for them now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up! So many new things to watch for! ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you hate when that happens? It's a good and bad thing. Good because you got paid so fast. Bad because you left money on the table.

    Either way, lesson learned. You will know next time you see it :-). Thanks for the BOLO!

    ReplyDelete